Top Articles

Thursday 23 July 2015

PROCRASTINATION IS A WASTER AVIOD IT!

“When you have to make a choice and don’t make it, that in itself is a choice.” 
William James















According to Steve Pavlina  “Procrastination, is the habit of putting tasks off to the last possible minute.” It can be a major problem in both your career and your personal life. According to this Scottish Proverbs which I like so much it says “what may be done at any time will be done at no time.” We all experience this issue (problem) in different aspects of our lives, in our careers, academics; businesses etc and I must say it has really done us more harm than good. Personally I have experience it and also known people who experience it too, the painful thing is that it produces a large block of REGRETS because when it’s done on you, you  see things clearly. In this short  article I will show you why I call it a ‘WASTER’ and why it must be avoided.


Procrastination stops you from doing what you were meant to do at that particular time or moment. That particular thing you have set apart to do and you know how important it is to you but due to one reason or the other you find yourself procrastinating. The Side effects include missed opportunities, frenzied work hours, stress, overwhelm, resentment, guilt and regret. Procrastination tells you: ‘Hard work pays off after a while, but laziness pays off now.’ Putting things off wastes not only your time, but also your physical and mental energy, that’s why it must be avoided. When you procrastinate, time is wasted thinking and worrying about the things you need to do. Sometimes you'll procrastinate because you're overwhelmed with too much on your plate, and procrastination gives you an escape for that. Other times you'll feel tired and lazy, and you just can't get going so you say the easiest way is to procrastinate.

Let me tell you a little of my experience with procrastination, there was a time I needed to prepare for something very important, when I mean important I mean it but as time went by I saw myself postponing it. As the time draw closer for me to present what I was meant to prepare for I now saw myself rushing to meet up with time to deliver what I was meant to deliver and I must say it was not cool at all. I had to patch things up to meet up with time, remember this is something I could have done ever since with no stress or rush. “To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing.”- Eva young, see! That’s my story, procrastination is a thing we all must come together and stop or else it will stop us from accomplishing so many things and leave us in pains, tears, regret and guilt.  

           In summary, Martin Luther once wrote: “How soon ‘not now’ becomes ‘never’,” he was talking about taking action as possible instead of falling into the trap of procrastination. Make up your mind this moment to deal with the waster we called: PROSCRASTINATION! Know that your future depends on what you do in the present, so do what you must do NOW! “In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing to do, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.” – Theodore Roosevelt,  Don’t let it get the best of you avoid it NOW! And you will see the things you can achieve, remember also that it also slows down the speed of achieving certain goals and dreams (‘what I call snail speed’). Be vigilant, Be alert! Stay safe!!

Enoch 'DB'
Tahm Crew
In my next article, am going to give you tips on how to overcome procrastination. But for now please share your experiences with procrastination with us below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message, we really appreciate it.